Firm: Ahlers & Cooney, P.C.
Location: Des Moines - IA
100 Court Avenue, Suite 600
Des Moines, IA 50309
- Tel : 515-246-0357
- Fax : 515-243-7611
- Email : email@example.com
Randy is a member of the firm’s Private Law and Public Law Practice Areas, with a focus on Litigation. Randy has over 35 years of litigation experience, including extensive experience in both state and federal courts throughout Iowa. He has lead counsel experience and has been involved in complex commercial litigation, employment litigation, and personal injury litigation. He has been admitted as a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers and also as a Fellow of the Iowa Academy of Trial Lawyers.
Randy has handled cases involving industrial machinery and equipment, commercial properties, transportation and trucking, professional liability (including law, accounting, medicine, architecture, insurance agents E&O) and construction. He has also represented physicians before the Iowa Board of Medicine.
Randy was born in Des Moines, Iowa. He passed the certified public accountant examination and received his CPA certificate in 1980. After graduation from the University of Iowa Law School, Randy joined the firm in 1981 and has been continuously practicing with the firm since that time.
- Successfully argued a motion to set aside a $5,000,000 default judgment.
- Successfully obtained a reversal on appeal of a district court ruling which had refused to grant the firm’s client a discharge for $137,000 the client had paid to the IRS pursuant to an IRS levy that had been served on the client on account of unpaid tax liens of the plaintiff in the case. Including interest and attorney fees, the ruling on the appeal saved the client approx. $225,000.
- Successfully obtained a defense jury verdict in a week-long jury trial in an employment discrimination case.
- Obtained a favorable verdict defending a lawyer accused of legal malpractice following a three-week trial in Cerro Gordo County, Iowa. The firm’s client had been accused of negligence after a land transaction the defendant lawyer had structured was found void by a bankruptcy judge as a fraudulent conveyance. The plaintiffs also claimed that the defendant was liable with two co-defendants on a theory of concert of action for termination of the plaintiff’s employment contract that had been put in place in connection with the land transfer. The jury found no liability on the part of the firm’s client and also awarded the client $12,000 on his counterclaim for outstanding unpaid fees still due from the plaintiffs.
- Successfully obtained summary judgment for a local area community college in an employment discrimination case brought by a former college vice president. The judgment was affirmed on appeal to the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- In a highly-publicized employment retaliation case, obtained pre-trial rulings dismissing most of the plaintiff’s claims and excluding the plaintiff’s liability expert from testifying at trial.
- Obtained judgment for a commercial property owner for necessary repair and expense and also successfully pursued a claim for attorney fees following a bench trial.
Ahlers & Cooney, P.C.
Whether we’re protecting Iowa’s businesses and employers or helping to build Iowa’s communities and schools, our firm has built a reputation of excellence for being innovative in solutions while effectively managing risk for our clients … for over 125 years.
But it’s who we are today that really matters. We continue to offer the breadth and depth of experience you need … that you can count on from your legal advisors at Ahlers & Cooney.
Our goal is to always identify and capture opportunities – the right opportunities – for our clients. We are focused on understanding our clients’ businesses and building strategic partnerships that allow us to go beyond providing general legal counsel and serve as strategic problem solvers.
We provide comprehensive legal services to state, national and international businesses, educational institutions and municipalities – across an array of industries.